01.---Can I have a day off tomorrow, Mr. Johnson?
---__________. I can manage without you.
A.Forget it B. I'm afraid notC. It dependsD. Of course
02.The letters for the boss___________ on his desk but he didn't read them until three later.
A.were putB. was putC. putD. has put
03.You were working too hard. You'd better keep a ________between work and relaxation.
A.promiseB. leadC. balanceD. diary
04.The dog may be a good companion for the old. _______, the need to take it for walks may be a disadvantage.
A.Besides.B. HoweverC. ThereforeD. Instead.
05. ---You have to believe in yourself. No one else will, if you don't.
---__________. Confidence is really important.
A.It's not my cup of teaB. That's not the pointC. I don't think soD. I couldn't agree more
06.Only after Mary read her composition the second time_________ the spelling mistake.
A.did she noticeB. she noticedC. does she noticeD. she has noticed
07. I wish to thank Professor Smith, without_______help I would never have got this far.
A.who B. whoseC. whomD. which
08. It's quite warm here; we __________turn the heating on yet.
A.couldn't B. mustn'tC. needn't D. wouldn't
09.It doesn't matter _________you turn right or left at the crossing ---both roads lead to the park.
A.whetherB. howC. if D.when
10.The secretary arranged a(n)___________time and space for the applicants to have an interview.
A. importantB. spareC. publicD. convenient
11. He got up late and hurried to his office, _________the breakfast untouched.
A. leftB. to leaveC. leavingD. having left
12. The three of us___________around Europe for about a month last summer.
A. travelled B. have travelledC. had travelledD. travel
13. Parents and children should communicate more to ________the gap between them so that they can understand
each other better.
A.openB. narrowC. widenD. leave
14. Everything was placed exactly ___________he wanted it for the graduation ceremony.
A. whileB. whenC. whereD. though
15. We wouldn't have called a taxi yesterday if Harold __________us a ride home.
A. didn't offerB. wouldn't offerC. hasn't offeredD. hadn't offered
I fell in love with Yosemite Nation